Considering this, how do you use context clues to identify a word?
Use Context Clues . Context clues can help you figure out the meaning of a word or phrase you don’t know. These clues can be found in the words and sentences surrounding the unknown word or phrase. There are many kinds of context clues readers can look for when trying to figure out unfamiliar text.
how do you teach context clues? With this in mind, students are often taught to follow a series of steps when they come across a word or phrase they do not know:
- Step 1: Reread and read ahead.
- Step 2: Identify context clues.
- Step 3: Decide on a meaning.
- Step 4: Check that meaning in the context.
- Sentence Search.
- Silly Sentences.
- Chart It!
- Partner Practice.
Also to know is, how do you determine context?
Context is the background, environment, setting, framework, or surroundings of events or occurrences. Simply, context means circumstances forming a background of an event, idea or statement, in such a way as to enable readers to understand the narrative or a literary piece.
How do you identify context clues in a sentence?
Using Context Clues
- Circle the word or phrase you don’t understand.
- Underline key phrases and ideas in the sentence. Look for words that give synonyms, antonyms, examples, etc.
- Give the main idea of the paragraph the new word is in.
- Say the sentence in your own words.
- Guess at what the new word means.